Monday, September 10, 2012

Top 10 List

Top 10 Romances NOT from Rom Coms

  














 When I was crafting my Top 10 Rom Com Cliches, I realized that many of my favorite romantic cliches come not from rom coms, but from other films with romantic subplots. I thought I'd branch out a bit and give you my Top 10 Favorite Romances NOT from Rom Coms. (For purposes of this list, I defined a rom com as any movie in which romance is the central story line. Hence something like Casablanca wasn't eligible even though it's not normally considered a romantic comedy. I wanted to avoid the romance genre altogether.)
 
10. WALL-E & EVE  (WALL-E)
Leave it to Pixar to make me actually care about the very human relationship between two robots.

9. Captain Steve Hiller & Jasmine, David & Constance (Independence Day)
I'm not ashamed to admit that Independence Day is one of my all time favorite films. (Mainly because of this speech.) Along with great explosions, a kickass president and an excellent alien-villain, this movie also gives us Will Smith dating a stripper (Vivica A. Fox) and Jeff Goldblum reuniting with his estranged wife (Margaret Colin). What more could you ask for?

8. Jack Traven & Annie Porter (Speed
Long before the horrible The Lake House, Keanu Reeve and Sandra Bullock made sparks fly on a bus wired to explode if driven slower than 50 mph. It's a high-stakes, high-speed romance with just a enough banter to keep things from becoming too high-strung. 

7. Rick O'Connell and Evy Carnahan (The Mummy)
Sure it's a terrible movie, and the pairing of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz shouldn't work- but somehow it does. Chalk this one up to my love of history and archeology.  

6. Buddy & Jovie  (Elf)
Before she was the queen of quirkiness, Zooey Deschanel was just Will Ferrell's blonde love interest. Their romance is as sweet and innocent as this film, and their singing-in-the-shower rendition of Baby It's Cold Outside is one of my favorite versions of that song.

5. Anita & Roger, Perdita & Pongo (101 Dalmatians- 1961)
My friends can tell you I've always idolized Anita and Roger's barely-featured romance as a perfect movie pairing. They're funny, sweet and willing to live on a budget to be together. Their canine counterparts are equally loyal and both relationships work beautifully in this animated classic. (A version I consider vastly superior to the 1996 live action remake.) 

4. William Thatcher & Lady Jocelyn (A Knight's Tale
Heath Ledger largely stayed away from romantic leading roles after this 2001 vehicle, which is a shame because he exudes charm in this underrated medieval romp. Shannyn Sossamon isn't quite as strong, but Heath brings enough to the pairing that it doesn't really matter. 

3. Robin Hood & Maid Marian (The Adventures of Robin Hood- 1938)
I've always been a sucker for Errol Flynn and as Robin Hood he's at his Errol Flynn-iest best. Olivia Mary de Havilland has just the right amount of sass to be his onscreen equal.

2. Elizabeth Swan & Will Turner (Pirates of the Caribbean)
It wasn't until Orlando Bloom took off the elf ears and ditched the blonde wig that I finally fell head over heels for him (to be fair, I was thirteen at the time). He and Keira Knightley have a fantastic smoldering chemistry and add just the right amount of heart to this swashbuckling adventure.

1. Princess Leia & Han Solo (Star Wars)
Two words pretty much sum up what makes this pairing so great. Agree with me? I know


Did I leave one of your favorite non-rom-com romances off the list? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. I love that you included Wall-E and Eve! Also, did I ever tell you about my idea to have a sequel for both Speed and Snakes on a Plane, called Snakes on a Bus that Can't Slow Down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds incredible. It'll be bigger than The Avengers.

    ReplyDelete